Glycolic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Hyaluronic Acid, Salicylic Acid, Vitamin C and lately CBD are common terms you hear when talking about skincare lotions and potions. However, what they actually do for your skin and what skin type they are most suitable for is often unknown.
Here's a quick 101 on these ambiguous scientific terms and what benefits they have on the skin.
- A naturally occurring substance in the body that supports the skin matrix.
- It attracts moisture from the water in the skin throughout the day.
- Best of all, it is a natural skin plumper.
- The smallest Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHA.
- Used to exfoliate the skin and even tone and texture.
- Effectively breaks down the bonds holding your dead skin cells, revealing fresh living skin.
- One of acne’s biggest enemies!
- A beta hydroxy acid or BHA
- Due to being a BHA, it’s more oil soluble so can better penetrate into the pores of the skin
- Dissolves skin debris that clogs pores
- Commonly used to treat mild to moderate acne by reducing the amount of acne bacteria.
- It has a mild exfoliating action when applied to the skin.
- Combine with salicylic acid for the ultimate at-home acne buster!
- Key anti-ageing skincare ingredient.
- Helps to gently brighten and smooth skin.
- One of the most powerful antioxidants and helps protect your skin against damage caused by the environment.
- Relatively new ingredient to the UK but has multiple benefits to both mental health and skincare.
- Leaves you feeling super relaxed and your skin very soft and calm.
- Studies show that it acts as an anti-inflammatory and prevents the activation of 'pro-acne' agents.
- Natural optimising effect on other active ingredients, helping them penetrate deeper into the skin.
More questions or advice required?
Please pop into our Studio in Notting Hill for a free skin consultation and one of our Tribe will recommend a bespoke treatment plan for your skin.