Work out your skin type
We’ve all experienced those teenage breakouts, but chances are your skin has changed quite a lot since then. So if you haven’t reevaluated it recently, it’s time to work out your skin type.
Your skin broadly falls into 3 different categories; oily skin, dry skin, and combination skin.
Dry skin tends to produce less sebum than normal, and as a result your skin finds it tricky to retain moisture. What should you look out for? Your skin might feel tight and a little rough, with your pores almost invisible.
But what causes dry skin? It could be a variety of things. From your natural hormones, to changes in the weather or even the soaps or makeup you use could be stripping your skin of moisture.
Oily skin typically produces too much sebum giving you that shiny look. You might find you’ve got enlarged pores, and acne or blemish prone skin, and the oiliness can change depending on the time of year. But, it can also get worse with stress, hormonal changes in your body and even your diet.
As the name suggests, combination skin is a mixture of skin types. Typically, combination skin can be quite dry in some areas, but oily in others like your T-zone, (chin, nose and forehead). Although combination skin is the most common of the 3 types, it means you need to consider caring for each part of your skin with a different approach.
Self diagnosis isn’t always the best strategy, so we’d recommend a trip to our aesthetic experts to get you on the right track. Once you’re prepped with the right products and treatment plan for your skin's requirements, you’ll begin to notice a difference pretty quickly. Book your free skin consultation here.
Get back to basics with your skin routine
Once you know your skin type, you’re set to build a skincare routine that you can stick to. Here we’ve broken it up to what you should be doing daily, weekly and monthly to make sure your skin stays in tip top condition.
The Daily Routine:
Your daily routine doesn’t have to involve an endless list of steps. Start small and stick to the basics, making sure the products you’re using matches your skin type.
The Weekly Routine:
Your weekly routine is all about pampering yourself.
- Exfoliate: limit yourself to twice or three times a week tops. If you exfoliate too often, it can actually irritate your skin and do more harm than good!
- Fask mask: post exfoliating, follow up with a mask. You’ll get extra benefits because your pores will be open and are able to absorb all the goodness a lot easier.
The Monthly Routine:
We’d always recommend a monthly visit to the skincare experts to give your skin some extra love.
- Get a Facial: Facials are an amazing way of boosting collagen & elastin in your skin and removing dead skin cells. If you’re on a tight budget, our The 20 facial at our facial bar is the perfect option. Tailored to exactly what your skin needs, it can help achieve that radiant glow in just 20 minutes.
- Try a peel: Chemical peels are a lot more powerful than any exfoliation you do at home. A chemical peel once or every few months, can leave you with a much fresher and brighter appearance by helping to reduce fine lines and hyperpigmentation.
- Or give microneedling a go: Microneedling helps stimulate skin cell repair, reducing the appearance of scars, pigmentation and pores. The 90 minute treatment helps to achieve a clearer complexion and increases the tightness of your skin giving you a smoother, glowy look.
Need some extra help looking after your skin?
Our tribe of skin specialists are here to help, why not book in for a free skin consultation today.